Do different focal length of lenses affect how you appear in photos

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
OP MackMack Regular Member • Posts: 218
Re: Do different focal length of lenses affect how you appear in photos

rurikw wrote:

MackMack wrote:

KCook wrote:

That this distortion on different focal length really happens or good manufacturer remove it by using compound element so do I need to worry on that while buying a lens (zoom and prime.)

The confusion here is that there are different kinds of distortion. The portrait distortion is really perspective distortion. You can see this for yourself by putting your eyeball a few inches away from somebody's face. Their face will no longer appear the way you normally expect it to. Which has absolutely nothing to do with lens corrections.

So it applies to all lenses, any brand.

Kelly Cook

I don't believe it is perspective distortion as in perspective you will see one side narrow and another side wider but it appears more to be barrel distortion.

Sorry but Kelly is correct. The video is purely about perspective which is different with different focal lengths. The shorter the focal length the greater the difference in size between near and far objects (big nose, small ears). The reason you may have imagined seeing barrel distortion could be that close up faces look rounder. All the faces were in the middle of the frame with lots of space around them so what little barrel distortion the WA lenses might have would not have made a noticeable difference.

Yes, I was confused because the faces are round so I thought it is because of 'Barrel distortion' but here my doubt is cleared: https://bakerdh.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/face-distortion-is-not-due-to-lens-distortion/

it is perspective even though it was taken from the center of the face as on lower focal length the distance between nose and ears has a greater percentage than the distance of lens but on a high focal length, this distance between the feature has a lower percentage of the distance from the total distance of the lens.

I got confused as I always thought that perspective distortion occurs from the side of the subject and never thought it can also occur even from between of the subject provided that if the subject is very close to lense causing its edges far compared to the center and thereby creating perspective distortion.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow