Z6 Lens Recommendations

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
eidetic_photog Regular Member • Posts: 103
Z6 Lens Recommendations

I received my Z6 last week with the 24-70 f/4 kit lens and FTZ adapter. I shot about 500 photos this past weekend. I will post a few images and first impressions on another thread later, but I am already in love with the camera. I bought it thinking that I may return it or sell it if I did not love it, but it is definitely a keeper. As a long time Nikon user, the ergonomics and controls are super intuitive. It is a joy to shoot.

My dilemma is how to outfit the camera with other lenses. I have been shooting Nikons for 20 years, and I have a wide assortment of good (not great) lenses; however, I still shoot a fair amount of film, so I have always been partial to AF-D lenses. I am strictly a hobbyist, and I shoot just about everything except for weddings and sports. Since it is a hobby, I tend to buy more "value" lenses than professional lenses. The three bodies I have are an FM3A, a D750 and now the Z6.

Here are my current systems with compatibility:

FM3A / D750: 20 f/2.8, 35-70 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8, 80-200 f/2.8 all Nikon AF-D

D750 / Z6 : Sigma 24-70 Art Lens f/2.8, Nikon 70-300 VR f/3.5-5.6 AF-S

Z6 only: 24-70 f/4 S kit lens

D750 only: Tamron 150-600 G1 (it really bums me out that this cannot be upgraded as of yet)

Of course, all of the AF-D lenses work great on the Z6 with manual focus, and focus peaking is great. Manually focusing the two prime lenses is fast and easy, but I would prefer to use autofocus on the Z6 with zoom lenses, especially the longer zooms.

My initial thoughts on options are as follows:

1) Keep the D750, but sell the Sigma 24-70 and Tamron 150-600. The Sigma is great but more or less redundant to the Z6 kit lens, and the Tamron does not autofocus on the Z6 which is a deal-breaker for birds and other wildlife. I could then buy a newer super telephoto lens to replace the Tamron.

2) Sell the D750, the Sigma and the Tamron. Buy a new super telephoto to replace the Tamron.

Between my AF-D lenses, the 24-70 f/4 S lens and the 70-300 AF-S, I have a very serviceable kit for the Z6 especially below 70mm focal length, but with limitations. Long story short, I would like your thoughts on AF-S lenses that would compliment my AF-D lens kit and Z6 compatible lenses.

a) What telephoto, super telephoto or telephoto zoom lenses would you recommend?

b) What other AF-S lenses do you think would fill other gaps in my kit (perhaps a better portrait lens like an 85 f/1.8G, 105 f/2.8G, or 70-200 f/2.8G)?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

eidetic_photog's gear list:eidetic_photog's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow