Fishchris Senior Member • Posts: 4,610
Re: Hmmm...

Tony Beach wrote:

Marek M wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

Marek M wrote:

Fishchris wrote:

Marek M wrote:

I back up all my pics but keep to work on in Lightroom between 10 to 15% max, sometimes less. Then prints are much less than 10% of that, closer to 2-5%.

It seems I do not take enough care taking pics with so many discarded.

What would be others "keep" percentage?

I keep way more than I need to, just because I have so much available space....

Same here. Taking time to evaluate and delete every mediocre shot takes more of my time than earning the money to buy extra storage space. Besides that, I have had instances where my girlfriend asked to see the shots taken and started picking out shots she wanted that I would have tossed.

But as far as how many shots I completely finish, put a name on, and save as possible prints ? Probably about 1%

For me it's far less. Printing costs money and my walls have only so much space.

That is what I meant. Pictures kept to be seen. Not pictured simply backed up for archiving.

I think to many, the term keepers means images you have kept, not images you have kept and intend for them to be seen. Your refined definition could make the replies vary wildly.

I clarified it although I did not think "keepers" would apply to what you physically keep. I always thought of it as "the ones you treasure".

The ones I "treasure" are even fewer and change with time. For instance, I never really treasured this shot:

Waya looking up to her big "sister."

Focus was on the little one whose head is turned away from the camera, and the background doesn't really appeal to me either, but it's otherwise not a bad photo I think so I kept it, so by a fairly widely held definition of a keeper this one is a keeper.

Then this last Saturday I got this shot which I made into a photograph (yes, I make a distinction between shots and photographs):

Flower trying to get the ball back from her "sister."

I'm not even sure this is the best shot I took that day, but it becomes possibly the most treasured shot in the context of the shot I took 27 months earlier of these same two dogs.

On the day of that more recent photo I took 92 shots, and my initial take was ten were suitable to be saved for viewing by my girlfriend who has raised these "kids" and was throwing the ball for them on Saturday. Upon further review I added three more:

Initially I just processed the second frame of this sequence, but my girlfriend correctly pointed out that Flower looks like a dead cow in that shot -- even if it was funny to see her on her back in her (literally) over-the-top effort to get that ball before Waya got it.

Still not sure what to make of that sequence, but it begs the question, is it one "keeper" or four?

Now I have settled on a total of four shots that are making the final cut, so in addition to the second from the top above I also like:

I'm partial to the last one, so perhaps that's the one I treasure most -- time will tell.

Beautiful dogs 🙂 We have a Border Collie mix, called a McNab. She is our baby... Well one of four of them 🙂

-- hide signature --

Photos are my paintings. The camera is my brush.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/161603079@N02/
DPreview gallery; http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5075216809
No time or attention given for negativity or trolls.

Fishchris's gear list:Fishchris's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow