Question For You Printing Aficionados

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SaltLakeGuy
SaltLakeGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,880
Question For You Printing Aficionados

I recently got a new Canon Pro-1000 and a nice sRGB calibrated monitor, the 38" ultrawide ViewSonic VP3881 and am loving both. I recently had a project of a family shoot of about 16 family members. I've noted when printing that the darkest of colors tend to come out darker on the print as opposed to my corrected adjustments on the screen. Yeah I know it's a backlit vs. printer scenario, but what I'm referring to is I happen to KNOW that it is possible to bring up just the dark (such as blacks) in a shot but leaving the rest, which is near dead on alone.

Is there a suggestion how I could calibrate such a maneuver? I have tried print setting set to both the .icc files for the proper Canon paper (Pro Luster for example) as well as the "follow printer driver" setting. Having spoken to the Canon folks they suggested I use their free DPP download and also download their print program which is a plug in to it. As I say the printer seems to agree quite well with both the colors, midtones and highlights nicely when I set i to "follow printer driver" for example, but the blacks show near no detail when on screen there is detail in their black cloths as I've bumped it up a tad in both ACDSee and DXO.

Is this going to require some sort of custom built .icc file to accomplish this? I know my screens not lying and the printer agrees with most of what it's being fed from my screen. I guess I'd just like it to be 100% of the image being perfectly represented. Any suggestions folks? I sure appreciate it.

-- hide signature --

A member of the "Been There Done That" club. Owned nearly every camera brand and type you can name along the way.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow