Who would love a Rollei 35 with a digital sensor?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
john Clinch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,876
Re: Who would love a Rollei 35 with a digital sensor?

Ilfotografo wrote:

The Davinator wrote:

The rez of fine grained color films tops out between 18mp and 20mp or so. Fine grain b&w can go out to around 30mp. For dynamic range, slide film is low...but color neg film and some b&w films will go far behond the rx100.

From Ken Rockwell:

"Fuji Velvia 50 is rated to resolve 160 lines per millimeter. ... 320 pixels x 320 pixels is 0.1MP per square millimeter. 35mm film is 24 x 36mm, or 864 square millimeters. To scan most of the detail on a 35mm photo, you'll need about 864 x 0.1, or 87 Megapixels."

That didn't mean the image contains that much data

But each pixel only records one color. And then there is color depth.

Al lthat aside, I am happy with 24MP, and I am happier with digital cameras than with Film due to light sensitivity, color balance, and the information that is stored in a RAW file.

Here is Norman Korans take. He wrote, Imatest one of the most widely used pieces of software for camera and lens testing.

" "How many pixels does a digital sensor need to outperform 35mm film?" The answer is less speculative than it used to be: The 11+ megapixel Canon EOS-1Ds, EOS-1Ds Mark II, and EOS 5D clearly outperform 35mm. I can make finer prints with the 8.3 megapixel EOS 20D (razor sharp at 13x19 inches) than I ever could with 35mm— and I was fanatic about lenses and darkroom work."

Source

http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/MTF7.html

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
tex
BJL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow