Solid lens for travel and everyday use

Started 3 weeks ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rsilverst Forum Member • Posts: 82
Solid lens for travel and everyday use

I bought this lens as an upgrade to an older generation Tamron 17-50mm (non-VC). I had issues with focus accuracy on the Tamron, so decided to update. In my research, the Sigma stood out because of the slightly longer zoom range. I've been very happy with the lens so far. I've done a lot of travel photography with it including landscapes and street photography. Very happy with its ergonomics, and it seems quite solid. It also can be used quite close-up (and is marketed as a "macro"-ish lens). It lives up to that billing.

I don't really see any weaknesses to it, and if you're using an APS-C camera, I think it's a great bet (basically an equivalent for the popular 24-105mm full-frame focal length range).

The barrel does extend when focusing, though now that I've done a little more research, it seems that every lens with this zoom range has extending barrel... anyone have a counterexample?

rsilverst's gear list:rsilverst's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +6 more
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C
Zoom lens • Canon EF-S, Nikon F (DX), Pentax KAF3, Sigma SA Bayonet, Sony/Minolta Alpha DT • 884
Announced: Sep 17, 2012
rsilverst's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow