Purple fringing with Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,091
Purple fringing with Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies

There are old threads about purple flare with certain Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies:

I just picked up a Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 (along with my existing Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 mark I) that are said to cause fringing.  Now I don't recall any fringing recently with the 20mm.

The conventional wisdom seems to be it is not an issue with the Olympus cameras starting with the E-m1 mark I that use the TruePic VIII processor for Olympus JPEG output.  My current main 3 cameras are the Olympus E-m1 mark I, Olympus E-m10 mark II, and Panasonic G85.  In theory, I should be fine.

I have older cameras (E-m5 mark I, E-pm2, and E-P2) that have TruePic VI.  So I thought I might do a little test to satisfy myself that it is not an issue with the new cameras, but it shows the problem with the older cameras.  Are there types of photos that tend to show the purple fringing?  Harsh light with strong light/dark components maybe?

I really would prefer not to have to track down a Tiffen 52/58mm UV 2A filter and the appropriate step rings, etc. to prevent purple fringing.

Note, I only shoot JPG, so I'm mostly concerned about the automatic removal of the fringing.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow