Panasonic GX85 vs OM-D E-M10 III

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ajoh Regular Member • Posts: 193
Panasonic GX85 vs OM-D E-M10 III

I'm considering "downgrading" from APS-C to M43 due to size and money. The X-Pro2 mostly sit at home due to the size. I love the camera, but it's not getting enough use due to not tagging along.

I've looked at Panasonic GX80 and the OM-D E-M10 III. The only thing these two lack is an articulating screen. That would really be handy when trying to take selfies with my family (we've got a 3 week old baby. Firstborn). Pen-F would be the ultimate camera. But that gem is expensive.

The GX80 is a kit with 12-32mm + 25mm f1.7
It costs 600 dollars

The OM-D E-M10 III has the pancake zoom 14-42mm
With the current cash back it's 760 dollars

I prefer the styling of the Olympus. It's really good looking. Small. Fits in my pocket with the pancake zoom. Decent enough grip.

I can't try the Panasonic as it's not locally available. Spec wise it's supposed to be a better camera, but I don't like the styling and the EVF makes me concerned.

The baby is still only 3 weeks old, so I can't see continuous auto focus being an issue for another 2-3 years. I rarely use AF-C on the X-pro2. Mostly stick to single point AF-S.

Video is not really a must. It's nice to have, but there's always a cellphone nearby if I have to shoot video.

I'd really like to purchase the OM-D. Should I just stop writing and buy it, or is the GX80 a much better deal despite the fact that I dont fancy the style?

-- hide signature --
 Ajoh's gear list:Ajoh's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Apple iPad WiFi +2 more
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow