Back into Photography and help with my D500 please!

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nocobrit New Member • Posts: 6
Back into Photography and help with my D500 please!

Recently back into photography after a 10 year absence, now retired and being drawn back in with some up coming travel to Central America and also wanting to try some wildlife photography here in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado!

I have been lurking in the background for some time while I researched and then assembled my new outfit based on a D500, and am still very much in the familiarization mode. Based around the D500 I now have a light weight travel kit as well as my home based wildlife kit. I plan to add a wide angle and a second body down the road.

Two questions that I would appreciate more experienced D500, and digital, users help with.

1. Any good handbooks and on line videos that you recommend to cover
    the detailed capabilities and operations of the camera, I have a grasp of the basics and I never find the Nikon issued Manual to be that helpful for "the details".
  2. I grew up with film photography and even though I have previously owned a D80 and some compacts, have never got into post processing, in future I do want to...so I am thinking of using one card slot for JPEG and one for RAW on my upcoming travel - hence giving some instant viewing and also post processing capability, as well as a safety back up....should I use the XQD card for JPEG and the SD one for RAW, which I can more economically change when full, or the other way around or???? I am not concerned about speed loss by using both card slots as do not intend to use any significant "burst" modes or video on the trip.
    Thanks for your help and i look forward to becoming a junior member of the forum, at least in digital experience!
 Nocobrit's gear list:Nocobrit's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow