When are we going to see AI implemented?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Elite83 Senior Member • Posts: 1,027
When are we going to see AI implemented?

https://youtu.be/FlgLxSLsYWQ

I highly recommend taking a half-hour to watch/listen to this 2018 Blender conference message on the state of AI and how it currently, and will impact creatives in the future. Seriously. You won't believe what AI technologies already exist that really remove the artist from the equation in a lot of ways.

If you don't have time to watch the basic rundown is: a lot of the AI that already exists takes a very simple input, whether a drawing, photo, texture etc. and will generate an infinite number of renditions that it compares to other art, and spits out "better" designs. Or, an AI takes a set of basic parameters and applies principles of other art to generate its own artwork. For instance, in video game textures photographs used to be the norm (and still are for many companies). But large companies have begun using AI to auto-generate textures given a set of parameters of what something should sort of look like. All this information is in the talk. I kind of butchered the recap, but if you watch the video I'm almost sure you'll learn something new.

My question is, what impact do you think this will have on photography editing? When do you think we will begin to see it implemented on a consumer level? And what are your personal thoughts on the topic? Are you nervous about it? Are you thrilled? What points did you find cool in the lecture?

FINAL DISCLOSURE: I am in NO way trying to instigate any sort of fear-mongering. I'm quite sure several people here are going to take the road of "Bah-humbug, it's a cool toy but it'll never replace real artists! N/T" My intent here is just have a real discussion with other knowledgeable artists on the future and progression of art, specifically photography.

-- hide signature --
 Elite83's gear list:Elite83's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7 III Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow