First Fuji lens I should buy? Walkaround lens

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GeralH Forum Member • Posts: 53
First Fuji lens I should buy? Walkaround lens

Hello guys!

Im planing to buy the X-T3 in the holidays, and im trying to figure out what lens i should buy first.

First of all i allways prefer primes over zooms. Thats why im not really sure IF i should buy the camera with the kit lens or not (i only hear good things about the kit lens, so i might aswell just buy it).

I had a kit lens with my first camera (SL1) but i bought a pancake lens too, and i got to say i never used the kit lens. 10 pictures maybe, to try it out, but i allways found the pancake lens (24 f/2.8) was better for everything. Thats why im not sure i should buy the kit lens of fuji (eventhough is the best kit lens around).

All my opinions of fuji come from reviews, thats why i want some feedback of people who has this lenses (maybe 2 or more), and their advices.

I want to have a walkaround lens as my first lens, to do a little bit of everything. Some street photography, some casual portrait, some landscape, some nightshots and so on, you know what i mean. With this in mind, which of these lenses would you choose?:

1. Fujinon XF 35mm F2 R WR
  2. Fujinon XF 27mm F2.8
  3. Fujinon XF 23mm F2 R WR
  4. Fujinon XF 35mm F1.4 R
  5. Fujinon XF 23mm F1.4 R
  6. Fujinon XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
  7. Fujinon XF 16-55mm F2.8 R LM WR
  8. Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS

The 35 f/2 is leading by a high margin because is fast, small and great quality. The only thing im not really sure is if 35 mm would be too narrow for me (im used to the 24 mm of canon).

The pancake lens of fuji (27 f/2.8) seems great, and i would buy it if the 35 wouldnt seem to be sooooo great. The 23 mm seems as good as the 35 but wider, something i might find of my liking, if it is AS good as the 35 (opinions here seem divided). The 1.4 versions seem to have better IQ, but are slower and heavier, would you choose this versions over the f2 ones?

About the zooms, they add me versatility when needed. The 16-55 seems the best of all of them, but also the heavier. The 18-135 adds even more versatility but im not sure how good it is comparing to the other 2. And the kit lens, well, is the best kit lens around.

So to the question:

If you had to choose ONE lens of all of the above, to use it as a walkaround lens, to be in the camera 80% of the time, for streetphotography, casual portrait, casual landscape, some city nightshots, some shoots of the city at night,; in short, an all-around lens. Which would you choose?

GeralH's gear list:GeralH's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EMV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow