GX85 vs XT20 - a surprising comparison.

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kraken Junior Member • Posts: 33
GX85 vs XT20 - a surprising comparison.

In my search for ultimate travel/mirrorless camera, I have gone a bit nuts and currently have both the GX85 and the XT20. I purchased the GX85 first and have constantly been pleasantly surprised by its image quality the last few weeks. Oh and that touchscreen menu is a revelation.

However, in my pre-Black Friday excitement, I also purchased an XT20 as I owned one last year and traded it in. It has been a regret of mine, so I thought let's give it another shot.

Now that I have both cameras at home, I decided to run them through a little comparison for fun. I'll be up-front and admit that I expected the XT20 to run away with this.

Note that these photos were taken with the XT20 and 18-55mm kit lens. The GX85 has the 42.5mm 1.7 Panasonic lens. I tried to keep the shutter speed, ISO and aperture consistent, although there may be a few slight differences. These photos are lightly processed in Lightroom as well (exposure adj., level, crop, shadow/highlight).

Here's the shots:

XT20

GX85

XT20

GX85

XT20

GX85

The GX85 just keeps surprising me the more I use it. I honestly expected the XT20 to win me over, but the GX85 actually came through with equal or better image quality.

Now, I fully expect criticism for how I performed these tests, that's fine. I'm not a camera reviewer. I'm just trying to help those out there like me, who maybe had these two cameras in mind.

Oh, and I was able to get the GX85, the 12-32mm, 45-150mm, 25mm 1.7 and 42.5mm 1.7 for a total of $1000.   I really don't think there is a better deal out there right now.

Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow