GX85 vs XT20 - a surprising comparison.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kraken Junior Member • Posts: 33
GX85 vs XT20 - a surprising comparison.

In my search for ultimate travel/mirrorless camera, I have gone a bit nuts and currently have both the GX85 and the XT20. I purchased the GX85 first and have constantly been pleasantly surprised by its image quality the last few weeks. Oh and that touchscreen menu is a revelation.

However, in my pre-Black Friday excitement, I also purchased an XT20 as I owned one last year and traded it in. It has been a regret of mine, so I thought let's give it another shot.

Now that I have both cameras at home, I decided to run them through a little comparison for fun. I'll be up-front and admit that I expected the XT20 to run away with this.

Note that these photos were taken with the XT20 and 18-55mm kit lens. The GX85 has the 42.5mm 1.7 Panasonic lens. I tried to keep the shutter speed, ISO and aperture consistent, although there may be a few slight differences. These photos are lightly processed in Lightroom as well (exposure adj., level, crop, shadow/highlight).

Here's the shots:

XT20

GX85

XT20

GX85

XT20

GX85

The GX85 just keeps surprising me the more I use it. I honestly expected the XT20 to win me over, but the GX85 actually came through with equal or better image quality.

Now, I fully expect criticism for how I performed these tests, that's fine. I'm not a camera reviewer. I'm just trying to help those out there like me, who maybe had these two cameras in mind.

Oh, and I was able to get the GX85, the 12-32mm, 45-150mm, 25mm 1.7 and 42.5mm 1.7 for a total of $1000.   I really don't think there is a better deal out there right now.

Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow