pana 100-400mm trouble with ois

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nacha Regular Member • Posts: 194
pana 100-400mm trouble with ois

purchased this lens off ebay about 6 weeks ago, and it has  been working flawlessly.  yesterday, when i picked it up to use , the ois mechanism within the lens started making all kinds of loud, clunking sounds, which went on for a good 5-10 seconds, and eventually stopped.  when i now engage the lens ois, and half press the shutter button, instead of stabilizing the image, i see a very rapid series of short horizontal movements of the image in the evf. when i disable   the ois, this movement ceases. when i use the lens on the em1-ii, that  ibis system works as expected, and the images are fine.

has anyone else encountered this issue, if so, what was the problem and the fix?

i have heard uncomplimentary comments about panasonic repair procedure, as well as multiple horror stories about trying to repair this lens. i looked into have the lens sent in for repair, but the only information i was able to dig up was a address in texas. when i had a issue with my oly 12-40, i was able to get all information on line, including an estimate for repair.

since the lens works well with the ibis of the oly, i am inclined to use it as is. however before i make a final decision, i just want to query the group for any additional insight.

thanks in advance

Nacha's gear list:Nacha's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow