Nikon D4 auto focus issue

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
saguy1 New Member • Posts: 1
Nikon D4 auto focus issue

Hi, I've recently started experiencing a very frustrating issue with my D4's autofocus.

I was shooting an event on Saturday and after picking the camera back up from a table I briefly placed it on it just wouldn't lock focus again.

The shutter release would be half compressed and the camera would just very very slowly start searching for the subject for two seconds and just stop without locking focus and not even close to having the subject in focus.

At the time I had a Tamron 70-200 on and then changed to the Nikkor 24-70 as I immediately thought it was a lens issue, but same thing.

I've been doing my own bit of testing and even cleaned the contact points, did a two button reset, but so far the only thing I've discovered was that when the camera is in live view mode it seems to focus fine. It locks focus with a good burst of speed - switching off the live-view and using the viewfinder immediately after than fixes the problem but only for a minute. Sometimes as soon as the shutter is released the not-focussing issue returns. Almost as if the shutter shock throws something off inside the camera.

I'm not sure if the vibration from the loudspeakers at the venue I was shooting had some effect on the inside bits of the camera at the time of placing it on that table but I've never experienced anything like this.

Before I send it in to be looked at by Nikon here in Cape Town I'm hoping to find an answer that won't break the bank...

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow