Tamron 28-75 f2.8 fe surprises

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
robonrome
robonrome Senior Member • Posts: 2,311
Tamron 28-75 f2.8 fe surprises

I decided to pickup the 28-75 Tammy and sell on the sony 24-105... the sony is great, but for a travel lens just above my comfort level weight/size wise for hiking and travel and I missed the 2.8 a tad.

Surprises with the Tammy.

Reviews i read gave me the impression build quality was lacking but ifind it pretty much on par with the sony, silky smooth focus and zoom ring and tightly fitting parts with no wobbles. If feels really firm and confident... can't fault it really.

The other surprise, not so welcome, is the AF is slow... very And noticeably slow compared to the ten or so other native and even adapted canon lenses I have. I've read all about focus inaccuracy early on and this lens does have (checked)  the latest firmware, but I'm surprised if this is normal that the reviews don't make more of how slow it is. Maybe it's because I'm using on a7r2 and most reviews are using a7iii or the r3... ? Anyone else feel the af is sluggish on second gen bodies?

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M1 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +14 more
Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow