The shutter lag of the Z7

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,875
The shutter lag of the Z7

As far as I know, the shutter lag of the Nikon Z 7 is not officially documented by Nikon, unlike the other professional grade DSLRs, so I decided to measure it with my measuring devices. I have previously measured all my cameras, so of course, I wanted to measure even the Nikon Z 7.

Definition of shutter lag: The delay it takes for the camera to open the shutter from the time the shutter release button is pressed. The camera is in manual focus and manual exposure mode so that no delay is added due to other activities the camera might need time for. The camera is triggered with wired connection from my devices to eliminate the delay caused by the triggering device.

Results:

Fully electronic shutter: 108ms shutter lag

Currently the electronic shutter can only be tested with my first version of Shutter lag tester, but the tests are reliable, accurate and repeatable.

Fully mechanical shutter: 69ms shutter lag

The new shutter lag tester is not ready yet, but it works just fine for this and it has been properly tested so I know it is showing the right measurements.

Electronic first curtain shutter: 63ms shutter lag

All measurements are based on average calculations of 10 images. the differences between each measurements are very small. My new device does the average calculations automatically and also triggers the camera repeatedly until all the shutter actuations are made, after that the result is displayed.

Conclusions:

The Z7 is slower than the previous Nikon D800 I had. The D300s has a shutter lag of 52ms in 12-bit mode and 95ms in 14-bit mode. The D800 has a shutter lag of 44ms in both 12-bit and 14-bit modes. The Z 7 is slower than the D800 but faster than the D300s in 14-bit mode. The shutter lag of the Z 7 is not dependent on 12/14 mode, or JPEG/NEF output, the shutter lag is constant, depending only on the type of shutter used.

I even made a video, so if you want to watch how I measure this you can visit my YouTube video.

Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow