D810 Pricing Conundrum

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,084
D810 Pricing Conundrum

Coming from photo retail, I find it very strange that Nikon USA is holding fast to the current, and long-time $2799 MSRP of a NIB D810*.  As others in the same generation, for example the D750, have come down for sales, Nikon is holding fast to the D810's early drop from its original $3200 MSRP.  Why they do this when the camera is "trailing edge technology" (T Hogan's quote) is confusing.  Only once have they gone below this price on the body-with-grip sales, a couple years ago when it briefly dropped $500 to $2299 NIB with the grip included...

*(Talking new with US warranty, not refurbs or international/grey market here.)

Is it because it still offers something for those who want hi-res, but don't want to shell out the cash for a D850?  I mean, it's still a very capable camera, but the current pricing makes it not much cheaper than a D850, and hard to justify.   Is it seen as a compromise for those who cannot, for some reason, add a more powerful computer to process those huge D850 RAW files?  And while I see the D850 in stock at most major US/NA retailers, could it be that manufacturer inventory is barely able to keep up with demand?

Answers we may never know, but interested in what others think..

-- hide signature --

G.A.S.+ "Monkey Mind" are one in your mind, gear grasshopper

Nikon D750 Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow