Fuji XF 80mm + XH1 combo

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
atoniolin
atoniolin Regular Member • Posts: 356
Fuji XF 80mm + XH1 combo

Hey guys and girls,

I am so excited to have recently gotten both my XF 56mm and XF 90mm and I've taken very pretty photos with absolute bokeh matching whatever was said in these hallowed forums. I even took out-of-focus bokeh videos for fun just to watch the colorful orbs dance around the screen. Now, due to the recent November/December promotion, my GAS on the XF 80mm is starting again.. It is about $150 off in my local currency.

My question is to those who own both lenses, what do you think? Is it worth it?

So the reason I got the 90 over the 80 in August was I shoot people portraits more than macro, and I am a bokeh-lover (obviously), and I wanted the extra 1 stop of light given the long focal-length. Plus since I had the X-H1's IBIS, the 80's OIS seemed like no-big deal to me.

But now there is this cashback promotion, and there are rumors of the new firmware getting to combine OIS + IBIS.

So for me, if I decide to the get 80, I will still keep the 90 because I don't like the cats eye bokeh for portraits (as I reread more than 5 reviews today) and prefer the absolute light spheres with the 90. I also want the fastest AF because..who doesn't?

Practically, if I get the 80, I will gain an option to get 1:1 macro at 25cm and slightly higher sharpness than the 90 (don't really care practically) and possible OIS extra 2 stops of stabilization after the new software comes out. Downsides of the 80 is still the same, cats eye bokeh, slow AF speed if starting from 25cm going to infinity, extra 200g, extra girth and length (bulky). My worry after purchasing it is that it probably will be relegated to when I'm going for nature trips and use the XF16mm for closeups in the meantime.

I do like macro and I have the extension tubes and Raynox glasses but I find them annoying to use on the field. Without a tripod, it is practically frustrating and impossible to get macro shots that are worth keeping. So I have laid that system to be used 100% with tripod only.

Any related advice is welcomed, thanks! Oh, and Angry Photographer keeps bragging about this XF 80mm and recently claimed it has replaced the XF 90mm in his lineup.. T_T I bought the 90 because it was his number 2 lens after than XF 16..and now he has had a change of heart.. Sigh.. Not gonna repeat this mistake again..

-- hide signature --

FUJI!
Hey, I actually take photos too!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139094988@N07/
Est Dec 2017.

atoniolin's gear list:atoniolin's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R APD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow