Vertical "needles" in a DPR studio scene picture from the XT3 sensor

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rlx
rlx Contributing Member • Posts: 700
Vertical "needles" in a DPR studio scene picture from the XT3 sensor

I was double checking the DPR studio scenes from the XT3 and I noticed a lot of thin vertical white lines on the arm of the woman standing in the picture as well as in the background. I ended up comparing with picures from a larger format and from the Sigma and I find the other sensors don't show those vertical lines. The Nikon D500 doesn't either. There are some faint lines on the XT2 pictures but they don't pop-up nearly as much as on the XT3.

Those lines look like some form of vertical aliasing.

Am I looking too much in the details here or does anyone also see those thin lines?

I do much post processing and I fear that those lines might be a symptom of something hidden in the XT3 pictures that may pop up when I process the pictures later on when I get the camera.

Any thougthts? Thanks. Here are the pictures.

(Edit) Thinking a little bit more ... it might just be the usual aliasing after all. The medium format Hasselblad shows color aliasing on the same picture and the GFX50S also shows color aliasing on the same picture fragment. The medium format is twice the size of APS-C.

The XT3 shows simple B&W aliasing so the pitch of the pattern on the picture is close to the pixel pitch on the XT3 sensor and close to twice the pitch of the Medium format sensor.

Finally the pitch of the XT2 is a bit wider that the XT3 pixel pitch so the XT2 is not aliasing as much on that specific fragment of the scene.

Does it make sense?

Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow