Olympus 17mm 1.2 PRO owners: a query regarding general satisfaction & 'spherical aberrations'

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Glass_Elements Forum Member • Posts: 72
Olympus 17mm 1.2 PRO owners: a query regarding general satisfaction & 'spherical aberrations'

I own the 25mm 1.2 pro & 45mm 1.2 pro, I'm very happy with them, and am gearing up to buy the 17mm 1.2 pro in a month or so. But then I saw this quote which got me thinking, since I have never heard this being mentioned before - neither in reviews nor in owner/user feedback. So did this guy have a bad copy, or is he right ? He says these spherical aberrations show up 'often' and that they show up 'heavy' ... that seems a bit extreme to have never been spotted in a review, nor show up in owner/user feedback (though I may have missed it, and there's a first time for everything)
so ya, anyway, I am generally curious in owner/user feedback on this lens ... how satisfied are you with it in use, wide open, and your thoughts as far as value for money is concerned. and also, specifically, if you think this guy got a 'bad copy' of the lens, has unreasonable expecations, is full of 5h1t, or if he is indeed correct.
Quote and direct link to quote/discussion below:
"I sold my 17mm 1.2 because the 1.2 performance was a bit of a mixed bag. What reviews don't tell you is about the high amount of spherical aberrations that often show up...and I mean, heavy. If the subject isn't heavily back lit and the light is soft, no problem. However, it's still soft. Loved the images coming out of it though and it is sharper than the 1.8 at every other stop across the frame (had that one too). Still, for 1200.00 bucks it is a hard pill to swallow. I'll chalk it up to a lovely lens with lots of character for a limited audience."

http://disq.us/p/1xfozlr

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow