Adapted lenses: I am amazed we get so good practical results

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Belgarchi Senior Member • Posts: 1,317
Adapted lenses: I am amazed we get so good practical results

Lenses made for film cameras are at a disadvantage, in terms of image quality, on many counts compared to native lenses:

- The glass covering the sensor changes the ray paths, reducing sharpness.

- The related problems are worse with thick glass.

Best: Leica (1mm) ; Worse: M43 (4mm)

- The related problems are worsening with distance from the center.

Best: M43 ; Worse: Full Frame

- The related problems are inversely proportional to the exit pupil of the lens. SLR

lenses, Standard (50+mm) and Tele lenses for Leica M are ok, Wide-Angles for Leica M

are not.

- The related problems are worse with wide apertures. No degradation at f/2.8+, light

degradation at f/2.0, large degradation at f/1.4 and wider

- Digital sensors are highly reflective and reflect light on the back element of lenses.

that problem didn't exist with films, and nothing had be done to mitigate this problem

- Adapters are often too short; it reduces image quality with lenses using floating elements

- Some adapters have light leaks, and many don't absorb enough light (geometry, shiny black): it reduces contrast, and can create flare.

- Many adapters are not perfect geometrically, and change the axis of the lens (the lens is not at 90° to the sensor anymore). This has a detrimental effect on I.Q. with wide angles, less with tele lenses.

Then, HOW CAN I GET BEAUTIFUL IMAGES WITH MY CONTAX ZEISS 50/1.4 AND 28/2.8 for example? It puzzles me.

Belgarchi's gear list:Belgarchi's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Panasonic LX100 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +70 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow