What's the best approach to shooting Grand Canyon landscapes?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JerFru New Member • Posts: 11
What's the best approach to shooting Grand Canyon landscapes?

I’m an amateur, not a pro. I have a Panasonic Lumix zs200. I’d like advice on the best approach to upcoming Grand Canyon hike. My particular concerns are dealing with the pronounced horizontal and vertical vistas and the large sun/shade contrasts in the canyon. Here are some alternatives; would appreciate constructive feedback.

a. Use camera’s pano mode: addresses horizontal or vertical vistas, but not both at same time. Does not address sun/shade contrast. May capture “too much” vista (?)—for example, I may want to capture a ‘modest pano’ vista, not a ‘full pano’ view.

b. Use camera’s HDR feature: addresses sun/shade contrast. Does not address pronounced horizontal/vertical vistas.

c. Use camera’s HDR feature and take several overlapping shots, then stich together using external software such as Hugin to capture the entire scene. Can external stitching software handle HDR images?

d. Shoot overlapping shots in raw format, post process each shot to address sun/shade contrast, then stitch together to capture full scene. Will raw format address sun/shade contrast as effectively as the zs200’s HDR feature?

e. Use exposure bracketing feature and shoot overlapping raw format shots. Combine each bracketed shot into one HDR image, using external raw conversion software such as Lightroom. Then stitch together the shots to capture full scene. Will exposure bracketing address sun/shade contrast as effectively as the zs200”s HDR feature?

Final comment/question—I want final colors to look ‘natural’, not saturated like many HDR shots I’ve seen. Is the camera’s HDR feature an alternative to external HDR software, or are they used together?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic ZS200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow