A crazy (or dumb...) idea about sensor and noise

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Senior Member • Posts: 2,978
A crazy (or dumb...) idea about sensor and noise

Hi,

My knowledge is very limited in the sensor technology and what I have understood so far is that the bigger the pixel the more light it captures and also the better the high ISO performance. Nice article here: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/complete-guide-to-image-sensor-pixel-size-29652

Wouldn't it be nice if we could alter the size of pixels in our current sensors? So for example, I don't like the ISO 6400 of my GX8 whereas I find acceptable the ISO 6400 of my Fuji X-A10. The pixel size of GX8 sensor is 3,3μ whereas the one from X-A10 is 4,7μ being able to perform better in low light situations.

Wouldn't be great if I could reduce the resolution of GX8 and increase the pixel size to 4,7μ so as to match the low light performance? Yes, resolution would be lower (14MP?), but plenty enough for most tasks. What if I could go up to 8μ (close to FF) and have a resolution of 8MP (if this is correct)?

What do you think? Can this technically happen?

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Sony RX100 III Olympus TG-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Fujifilm X-A10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow