What exactly is 'Art'?

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EE-TV
EE-TV Contributing Member • Posts: 927
What exactly is 'Art'?

As Photographers, whether as a Profession or a Hobby, and as someone who even has a Degree in Art & Design, I ask, my fellow Imagers, a genuine question, for something I have noticed being called out on here to categorize as a subject material label quite often, however sporadic, yet nonetheless what is Art?

To you, at least. We can look at a dictionary definition or online wiki-whatever later on. That we can get to, for now though let's firstly ask and describe amongst us here what we classify as Art.

My personal take on it is for something that has not an immediate and obvious "at first glance" portrayal of say, well a portrait, a landscape, an anything. Something that is quite abstract. Or sometimes such a rendition is being presented by an Artist (of course, an Artist, who else?) yet the initial response from the Viewer/Audience is somewhat of bewilderment, so by not giving the Artist the response she or he was expecting, said Artist will proclaim, "it's Art!" in order to justify their production and hence hopefully offer room to allow for translation by the viewer to interpret what exactly it is they are looking at.
---------------------------------------------------
To Thine Own Self Be True
---------------------------------------------------

EE-TV's gear list:EE-TV's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow