Earliest impressions P1000 (no images)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bill hansen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,285
Earliest impressions P1000 (no images)

No images to show you, and I may have to return my rental P1000 before we get any decent light here. Weather here has been so dark that instead of worrying about shutter speed 1/3200, as someone else has, I've sometimes had to use ISO 3200 for test shots, and even those are sometimes underexposed. Usually, I can get by with 800, and for "real" photography, I think I'd keep ISO at or below 800.

A couple of my very early thoughts on the rented P1000 -

A tripod is a big help beyond FL 2500mm. Many thanks to Sherman Levine for his recommendation of a 150mm ArcaSwiss quick release plate. That makes all the difference in balancing the camera.

The P1000 is just as big and heavy as I thought it would be, from reading DPR reports. It's even big and heavy for me, who is quite used to carrying around a Canon DSLR and 100-400 lens with 1.4X extender. But it turns out I *can* carry it, and use it.

I've been surprised at how well Auto focus works, even in dim light.

I really like the front ring for manual exposure, and in dim light manual exposure is mandatory. Varying amounts of the white outline indicating focus are often helpful.

Continuous shooting helps a lot too, to get well focused images.  I think I much prefer C-H, over C-L for long FLs. At shorter FLs, C-L would help catch some types of action.

There's really no way to confirm proper exposure before taking the picture. I have to take a test shot or two and use exposure compensation etc. The histogram which is available pre-exposure is woefully inaccurate.

The Menu is very nicely designed, and it's relatively quick and easy to navigate.

I programmed the Fn button for ISO. I did the same when I rented a P900 and that worked out well.

The camera needs at least a second Fn button. I'd probably program that for WB, but Auto 1 WB works well enough in most situations.

Hand held images can be sharp at 3000mm, though with our dark skies, I have to push ISO to at least 800. As many others have observed, the finest details are often blunted by the atmosphere.

At times my rental unit will freeze up for no apparent reason.

On my rental unit, the multiple exposure option is grayed out. I phoned Lensrentals about it, and they had no solution. Also, the rental unit has a red icon for the timer option visible on the EVF and the LCD, and the button for the timer doesn't work. Since I don't need to test these options, I haven't worried about them for this one week testing period.

Maybe I'll be able to post one or two detailed images by the end of next week, but tall of you will have seen much better images before.

-- hide signature --

--
Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P900
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow