Sony A7R III compared with Canon 5D Mark IV

Started Nov 17, 2018 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Spyridak New Member • Posts: 9
Sony A7R III compared with Canon 5D Mark IV

Hi all,

as current owner of mainly Canon equipment (5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II plus telephoto lenses) and a Sony A7 II with FE 16-35 f/4 lens,

i would like to ask opinions mainly from people who have used both cameras (Sony A7R III and 5D Mark IV).

My main thinking is to keep the 5D Mark IV which i find to be very good and use it with the 2 telephoto lenses i already have (EF 400 f/4 DO II and EF 100-400 f/4,5-5,6L IS USM II) which i find to be practically excellent.

The same time i will sell the 7D Mark II i don't use much and i am not really satisfied with and maybe sell the A7 II which i don't use much, as i don't take many landscape pictures anymore.

Next step is to buy the A7R III with the Sony 70-200 f/2,8 lens. Main reason i want to use that system is for the hiking i do (plus field work), where i want to have less weight with a camera capable to shoot at quite high ISO (3200-6400) many times, a higher Mp that will give me the ability to crop more. The lens i want it of course for its high aperture (f/2,8).

If there was a longer zoom-telephoto (at f/2,8) i would have definitely considered it but unfortunately there is not. For the extra reach i will need many times i plan to use it with a 1,4x Extender which i hope it will still give very good quality and still at f/4 which remains a very good aperture value (for low light photography).

The option of using a Canon EF 70-200 f/2,8 lens (with an 1,4x Extender when needed) i have skipped it because many times the subject will be relatively to quite far and the cropping factor (Mp) of 5D Mark IV is not as good as that of A7R III.

My main questions worries are: Comparing the 2 cameras, does the A7R III has any major downsides compared to the 5D Mark iV? The first has the benefits of higher Mp (42 vs 30), faster fps (10 vs 7). What about autofocus, tracking, high ISO etc.?

To help with my questions, the combination i want to use mainly for photographing mammals and other wildlife in forested areas, frequently requiring long hiking and many times at very low light conditions (very early morning and late afternoon, plus very shadowy areas).

Any comments, suggestions on my questions will be appreciated.

Giorgos

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a7 II Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow