Bad experience with 6ave photo. They tried to keep $300 of my money.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
chironNYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,396
Bad experience with 6ave photo. They tried to keep $300 of my money.

During the recent $100 off coupon on ebay, I purchased two lenses from 6ave photo on ebay, which claims to offer unconditional 30 day returns. Both lenses were described as new and international versions.

1. One of the two lenses purchased was a Sony 35mm f/1.4 lens. It was supposed to be new. When the lens arrived, it was dirty and clearly a used copy of the lens. The focus ring was quite marked up with rub marks. It would be rated an 8 or 8+ on the buy-sell forum here. The box was also missing three of the five pieces of interior packaging and thus the lens was very poorly protected during shipping. I'm sure it had bounced around a lot. I immediately re-packaged it for return and specified the problem on the RMA form. They refunded my money for this lens.

2. The second lens was a Canon 35mm 1.4L II lens, specified as a new and and international copy. I had been thinking I might use a Canon 35mm instead of a Sony 35mm, but before the lens arrived, I had decided against doing that. So, when the lens came, I never opened it, but just packaged it up for return.

3. After the lenses had gone back, I discovered that 6ave had withheld $300 from my refund for the Canon lens, claiming that the box had been unsealed and opened and that the lens could no longer be sold as new. Not only had I never opened the box, but Canon lenses are never sealed. This was just an attempt by 6ave to keep $300 of my money that they hadn't earned.

4. When I called 6ave customer service, they claimed that the lens had been opened and used and that the box had been sent to me sealed--all of this was completely false. I asked them if they were confusing the two lenses I had sent back, and they said no.

5. I filed a complaint with ebay, pointing out that 6ave had a lot of negative feedback complaining about exactly what they had done to me--claiming a product had been opened and then keeping 20% of the purchase price. 6ave also have a lot of complaints about used equipment being sold as new and then refusing to take the equipment back.

6. After an investigation, ebay found in my favor and refunded the $300 that 6ave had kept.

7. Moral of the story: buy form B&H, Adorama, Amazon, and a few other reputable stores. Stay away from 6ave.

chironNYC's gear list:chironNYC's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +14 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow