has the g9 a future

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Mr PapaBear Forum Member • Posts: 96
No worries about M43 future

davesurrey wrote:

FWIW my personal belief is that MFT is just as likely to be killed off as any other camera format in this increasingly troubled camera market.

What with the competitive pressures from smart-phones and computational photography, the battle now playing out for FF mirrorless and the decreasing "need" to upgrade cameras which for most users are more than good enough, it's a tough market for everyone.

But specifically Panasonic aren't helping the G9's credibility given their current cash-back deals in the UK.

A major camera dealer has just confirmed to me that I can buy either a G80 plus 18-60mm Leica for £1458

Or a G9 plus same 18-60mm Leica for £ 1399.

That's right...the G9 will cost me £59 LESS than a G80.

Barking.

M43 is a near open system.  Anyone can make bodies and use the lenses.  And there is a great line of lenses out there already.  Companies like BlackMagic and Kodak have taken advantage of this.   For a company that wants to sell cameras but doesn't have a line of lenses, M43 is the best option. And since M43 sensors are made for many other uses (security cameras, etc) they are easy to source.  I could see Google or Apple making a GM1 style camera with their smartphone OS, that does more than any FF camera. (not saying they will)

More importantly, as sensor technology, AI,  and computational photography improve larger sensor become less cost effective and less necessary.   Long term, the future is smaller sensors.

No matter what happens with Olympus and Panasonic, M43 has a long bright future.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow