X-T3 in white out conditions - Birds in flight

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Morris0
Morris0 Senior Member • Posts: 5,747
X-T3 in white out conditions - Birds in flight

I headed to Big John's Pond at Jamaica Bay National Wildlife Refuge to photograph the birds during yesterday's Nor-Easter here in New York City. I arrived before the snow began I found the blind was being rebuilt by a team of carpenters. I chatted with them about the plans for the new blind which sounds like it will be a good improvement and then walked further up the trail to the East Pond Blind. Light snow began as I walked to the blind and by the time I was setup the snow was falling at a good rate. The wind was out of the east and I was facing east so the snow was coming through the blind windows making it a challenge to look out and also to keep snow from striking the front of my lens.

The 3 images I'm posting are shown out of sequence with the second the first I took. I could barely see the snow geese through the EVF for this image and after taking it and a few others stopped to clean my glasses and then checked the front filter and discovered it was covered in snow. I blew it off and that melted some of it leaving my filter wet which I left to dry. The other two images are taken with a slight moisture coating on the B&W UV filter. The camera as my new Fuji X-T3 with 100-400mm and 1.4x TC mounted. I consider this the ultimate focus system torture test and performance was excellent equiling my D500 with Sigma 150-600mm Sport. The photos are taken wide open at ISO 32,000, cropped for composition and sharpened in Photoshop CC. The first two have the the entire frame sharpened, the last was sharpened in layers exposing the sharpening of the cormorant.

1)

2) cropped from about 1/2 the frame

3)

For those curious, my focus settings are: AF-C, Single Point with a fairly small box selected, and
Focus Mode 5 (Erratic)

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +11 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow