Epson Premium Semigloss quality drop

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jake_P New Member • Posts: 3
Epson Premium Semigloss quality drop

Hi all,

I'm having quite a stressful/frustrating time in regards to using Epson's Premium Semigloss paper.  I design graphic art and print my own designs, and have been selling fairly successfully for around 6 years.  During this time I've printed exclusively with Epson Ultrachrome inks onto the aforementioned paper.

Over recent times, I've noticed a huge decline in QA/manufacturing quality across the different cut sheet sizes available.  I'm now seeing countless packs of paper (A4, A3, Super A3) which have small (but noticeable) black dots that are visible in freshly opened boxes.  I'm literally having to spot check each sheet now before printing, and have a large collection of boxes with plenty of unusable sheets inside.

The small dots are generally the same size though occasionally larger. Generally speaking, there is one spot per sheet, though sometimes more and again, generally speaking they seem random. As I print large areas of flat colour, unfortunately there's no hiding the problem behind a 'busy' design.  I don't believe my expectations are too high in wanting a consistently pure sheet of paper but maybe I am?

On a side note, I've also noted quite a noticeable reduction in the thickness of the sheets even though the gsm rating is still the same?? Holding an old stock sheet and comparing a newer stock sheet feels like two different papers.

I've contacted Epson and am going to send all my samples in, though I think I may be done on using this paper as I believe it's not fit for purpose any longer.

Has anyone else had similar observations on this? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a decent similar paper for use with the Ultrachrome inkset?

Thanks in advance!

Jake.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow