5D4: 3rd party lenses focusing in liveview

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TyphoonTW
TyphoonTW Senior Member • Posts: 1,374
5D4: 3rd party lenses focusing in liveview

Back when my only camera was the 6D I tried a few 3rd party lenses and found their af to be basically unusable for my work, so I currently own Canon lenses only.

Every now and then I feel like I could really use a 35 f1.4 lens for indoor portraits (I shoot indoor volleyball, and at the end of matches there's many occasions to take portraits of players with the fans or by themselves etc etc). I'm currently using the 24-70 f2.8 Ii for this.

The problems are:

a) This kind of photos aren't my #1 priority, so I can't really justify the cost of the Canon 35 f1.4 II

b) A second hand Sigma 35 f1.4 would fit the bill quite nicely, but when a friend lent it to me I had very bad experiences with its af on the 6D

Now, back to the 5D4: when I'm taking portraits at the end of a match I'm very often in liveview. I'd say a good 80/90% of my photos outside of a match are shot in liveview. This made me wonder: how reliable would a 3rd party lens be, in my case a Sigma 35 f1.4, when used exclusively in liveview on a 5D4?

If I could reliably focus in liveview but have a... i don't know, let's say 40% miss rate through the viewfinder, I'd gladly use the Sigma 100% of the time in liveview if that means saving roughly 1500$ compared to Canon's mkII.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-- hide signature --

This is where I write stuff: http://randomibis.wordpress.com/
This is where I upload stuff: http://www.flickr.com/photos/107755637@N06/

TyphoonTW's gear list:TyphoonTW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow