Why don't more manufacturers offer their older generations of cameras at a reduced price?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MaciekPruski Regular Member • Posts: 184
Why don't more manufacturers offer their older generations of cameras at a reduced price?

I'm wondering why more manufacturers don't keep selling previous generation of their cameras at a disounted rate when they release a new one.

Sony does this to the extreme- you can buy all generations of the a7 and rx100 and it seems to be working well for them. Canon sells their older 6D models. Pentax does this to a smaller extent. Not sure about other manufacturers.

This is especially lacking in m4/3. For example I would gladly buy a new OM-D e-m1 mark I at a discounted price rather than their current midrange and entry-level options. I think some poeople would buy the previous GH models from Panasonic if they were significantly cheaper.

I'm wondering about the reasons. Obviously, you might say that they don't want to undercut the sales of their new models. I'm not sure if this is true, because for Sony it seems like a good gateway into these systems and probably a lot of these customers are going to upgrade in future.

Also, there are some people who simply can't afford the newest flagship and they are much more likely to buy something like an a7, Pentax K1 mark I, Canon 6Dii, or a good APSC model rather than say a m4/3 midrange model for the same price simply because they prefer a more "pro" or "flagship" handling that these entry level and midrange models don't provide. Your thoughts?

MaciekPruski's gear list:MaciekPruski's gear list
Pentax KP
Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-1 Sony a7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mxx
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow