JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 24,334
Re: DR comparison

beatboxa wrote:

Horshack wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Horshack wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

• The A7Riii has some pretty horrible artifacts at base ISO around the numbers. Looks like ruffled peacock feathers.

That's the result of their raw compression algorithm. They don't appear in their uncompressed raws.

I have rarely seen such classic examples of the delta mod artifacts in craw.

You mean in general shooting? It's pretty common on high-contrast edges of exposure pushes like the lettering in that DR crop.

Related article I've found:

If this is a consequence of the 11 +7 compression (and it does appear to be a compression artifact of some sort), I'd be interested to see either uncompressed or lossless compressed as well--though I think Sony only does uncompressed or lossy compression.

I personally shoot most often in 14-bit lossless compressed. I think this and similar options are another consideration when evaluating cameras.

During the compression battles before Sony introduced uncompressed, I said that if they did that, it would be malicious obedience. To this day they have made no promises about the future availability of lossless compression. It's a shame.

-- hide signature --

Posted as a regular forum member.
https://blog.kasson.com

JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow