Jpeg editing Lightroom vs. Capture One (unconventional I know)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Peregrin8 New Member • Posts: 9
Jpeg editing Lightroom vs. Capture One (unconventional I know)

First of all let me first say that I am aware that most people will highly suggest using RAW files vs Jpegs especially if semi-intensive editing is intended, that the files contain more information to work with and will invariably result in better results.

However, I have some reasons that I shot jpeg and would still like to retouch basic things like contrast, clarity, light sharpening, vibrancy/saturation, and some highlight and shadow recover. I was abroad for an extended period of time and didn't have my laptop for post-processing with me, but still wanted to review the jpegs on a device and post some photos from my travels. Now that I am back and able to do some editing, I would still like to touch up some of the jpeg files I shot. I am aware now that I could have saved both Jpeg and RAW simultaneously but I neglected to do this, and was trying to save memory space as well.

Long story short (er), I still would like to edit the jpeg images and am wondering in peoples opinions which is best to do it. I haven't been able to find much information on this for the obvious reasons that RAW processing is the more popular choice.

Typically I like to use capture one pro, however I noticed that when editing jpegs lightroom tends to do a significantly better job with highlight recovery - it will bring back colour, detail and contrast in semi blown out skies and highlights whereas for some reason the capture one highlight recovery misses this step and goes from white areas to flat/dull gray. Does anyone have any idea why this is or how to get around it

Does anyone with experience using both programs have any advice on which would be better to use for this purpose? Please don't only respond with shoot RAW, I am trying to go through and edit photos that have already been taken and have no option now except Jpeg, in the future I will make sure to shoot RAW to avoid this.

Thank you for your help in advance, best regards everyone.

Peregrin8's gear list:Peregrin8's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow