Hard drive size on new laptop

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NikonMike Senior Member • Posts: 1,242
Hard drive size on new laptop

I'm in the process of replacing my Dell XPS desktop and have decided to go the laptop route.  At home, I'll use it with my Dell U2413 monitor.  Dell has a great Black Friday deal right now on the XPS 15 FHD (non-touch) model at $1349.   It comes with a 256gb hard drive and 16gb RAM.  Honestly I wish it were 512 but I  would use a 1tb SSD for all of my photos.  I would probably put the catalog on the internal hard drive if there is any advantage to doing that.  My question is, would 256gb be large enough for Windows, Lightroom CC, and the catalog, along with the drivers, etc.?  Would there be a big downside to putting all my photos on an external in terms of speed and operation of Lightroom & Photoshop?  I'm not looking for anything lightning fast, anything right now is better than my desktop.  I also have Lightroom on my cheap i3 Lenovo laptop right now and it is five times faster than my desktop.  Thanks for any help.

-- hide signature --

Mike

NikonMike's gear list:NikonMike's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow