What camera would you get your mom?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
blueknigh7 Forum Member • Posts: 67
What camera would you get your mom?

Speaking as someone in mid 30s. Looking toward black friday deals...as a Christmas Gift.

So my mom has always been the snapshot photographer - she made all of the photo albums when we were kids and documented life. Pretty much always had a standard Kodak or Minolta 35mm. The last camera she bought was a Canon S95. She likes to print photos out at home. I think she'd like to pursue it more, or at least get pics of the grandkids or during trips. She tells me that she likes my photos, which I started taking a year ago.  I think she wants things like shallow DOF, which is harder on the smaller form factors.

I fully acknowledge that I'd have to teach her the technical aspects to get her out of auto mode - and I don't think she'd process raw files except in rare occasions. I'm also wondering with aging eyesight, if liveview or an EVF shooting becomes easier.

So where would you start?  I was thinking that the BF Nikon D3500 deal looks pretty good, but the transportability is not as nice as say, a mirrorless, but I like the ergonomics on the grip.  That said, there's not that many options in a "beginner's" pricepoint.

Also note, I shoot Nikon, but my brother shoots Canon - so we could loan her a few lenses should we go with a APS-C format.

blueknigh7's gear list:blueknigh7's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +1 more
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D3500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow