Does Nikon Get It?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 3,121
Does Nikon Get It?

Excerpt from DP Review's interview with Nikon executives at Photokina (article linked on home page):

So many people take photos with their smartphones because they want to post them to Instagram or Facebook, or other social networking services. However, some of these people are not really satisfied by the quality of the photos taken on their phones. This segment of people are looking for a camera which can give them better quality images, but maybe they’ve never used a dedicated camera ever in their lives. I am sure that this segment of the audience is growing and [they represent] a great opportunity.

But does Nikon understand that these emerging photographers love the smartphone user experience. They value the ability to take, process and share a photo with the same device, and all within a matter of seconds. Most won't give that up to gain control over the image-making process; control that results in images matching the photographer's vision. And as computational photographic tools advance, they will have fewer reasons to give the smartphone for a dedicated digital camera.

The Zs are an incredibly solid effort on Nikon's part to deliver the ergonomics, functionality and performance people expect of the Nikon brand. It appearsa based on comments made during the above-linked interview, that sales are strong. That's a good thing. I'm not yet ready to leave F mount DSLRs but that day may not be too many years into the future. That shouldn't be of any real concern to Nikon

It shouldn't be a concern because photographers like me - longtime Nikon shooters - contribute nothing to Nikon's future. If I buy a Z, Nikon earns a profit but their customer base is exactly what it was the day before. We know who the current Nikon photographer is. But who is tomorrow's Nikon photographer? Unless or until Nikon develops products that are attractive to a new generation of emerging photographer, they will continue to grow smaller.

Hence my question: Does Nikon get it? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Nikon does get it, and will find a path to developing products that connect with young photographers.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow