a6000 focusing problem...or just my camera settings?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kary90 New Member • Posts: 2
a6000 focusing problem...or just my camera settings?

Hi everyone, I am new to photography and have been practicing with the a6000. One thing I notice is that my camera is slow to "focus." I have the 16-50mm kit lens and the 35mm f1.8. Whenever I turn on the camera, it would take 2 - 3 secs for the lens to focus. If I move the camera and aim at another object or area, the screen/viewfinder would become blurry again and then take another 2-3 secs for it to "clear out" for me to see it clearly. 2-3 secs is like a lifetime in photography. My camera's firmware is also at the least version 3.20.

Please see the examples below: 1. I turned on my camera, and what I saw through the screen/viewfinder was blurry. It took several seconds to "clear out" and I was able to capture 2. Same blurriness for 3 and 4. I have my camera settings in: Metering Mode: Center, Focus Mode: AFS-S, Focus area: Center. I took an intro photography class last week. My instructor wasn't familiar with Sonys mirrorless, but he asked me to check if I have face detection etc on. We checked all of that and none of those were turned on.

Is there something wrong with my camera, or is this just the settings? I'm going on vacation in 4 days, so I would be taking pictures of sceneries, people, especially my niece and nephew who are children, which means they won't stay still. Any guidance or advice is appreciated. Thank you.

This is what I see in the viewfinder or screen when I try to take a picture of the tires. It took several 3+ seconds for it to focus.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow