Clarification on Z7 autofocus abilities

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
camelguy Regular Member • Posts: 315
Clarification on Z7 autofocus abilities

Based on everything I've been reading, it sounds like the Z7 autofocus is great when used on static subjects in AF-S mode, and is, perhaps, subpar when tracking moving subjects while using its version of 3-d tracking.

With my D750, I regularly shoot in AF-C mode using back button autofocus - for both static and action shots. So my questions are:

-How is the Z7 when shooting static subjects in AF-C mode? Is it more or less equal to AF-S mode, or is it noticeably less consistent?

-And how is the Z7 in AF-C mode at keeping moving subjects in focus while holding the focus point over the subject, but not using its version of 3-d tracking? (In other words, keeping the back button pressed and tracking the subject by moving the camera as needed to keep the focus point on the subject).

Basically, I'm wondering if the AF performance that many users seem less than thrilled with is related to the AF-C part of the equation, or the auto-tracking part.

thanks!

Nikon D750 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow