Limits to image stabilization techniques.

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Deanaaargh New Member • Posts: 9
Limits to image stabilization techniques.

Long time Lurker first time poster (in this forum)
I have followed the development of different optical stabilization techniques, as I have reaped of their benefits. Some attention was paid to Olympus during its introduction of the EM-1.2 regarding theoretical limits of its stabilization https://petapixel.com/2016/09/26/olympus-says-earths-rotation-limits-image-stabilization-6-5-stops-max/

Reflecting on this has brought several thought to mind and I would be appreciative of your collective insight regarding its existing implementation.
To what degree does spatial separation between accelerometers identify allow for the mitigation of gravitational signals? I wonder if the improved IS performance of Olympus Sync IS and Panasonic Dual IS is due
a) related to better identification of translational movement,
b) or due to a larger effective stabilization range owing to two active stabilization units.
I would be grateful for any insights from this community or links to other resources of a not too technical nature.

A separate question I have been wondering about is how in lens optical stabilization is achieved. I haven't taken many of my lenses/cameras apart to determine the construction but I assume that the accelerometers for cameras lacking IBIS are typically housed in the lens.
In older designs were these ever stabilized through gyroscopes or has the technique of using "floating" elements moved by electromagnets been standard for some time.

Deanaaargh's gear list:Deanaaargh's gear list
Olympus C-5050 Zoom Pentax K100D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Pentax K-30 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow