21mm UWA converter & other travel lens questions

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BuckeyeGuy Forum Member • Posts: 95
21mm UWA converter & other travel lens questions

Not another travel lens thread!! Yep... but I'm asking questions about my personal situation rather than generic "whats the best travel lens?".

Wife and I just booked a trip to Prague and Barcelona. I've been to Europe many times (lived in Italy 2006 -2008) but this is my first trip since taking up this hobby. Further, we are about to start trying to have some kids so this might be the last Europe trip for a very long time.

I have a Sony A7III, Tamron 28-75, 28mm F2, and 55 1.8. I bought the Tamron specifically for travel so it's definitely going and will be on the camera probably 75% of the time. As much as I love the 55, I just think it's too narrow FOV for this particular trip. The 28mm F2 will be nice for evening shots when the extra stop of light will be appreciated (if I find 2.8 lacking but I'm really hoping to limit lens changes). BUT, I just don't think 28mm is wide enough to be my widest angle. I desperately want the 16-35 F4, but can't really justify the price tag right now (I could buy 2 more europe plane tickets for that price). So i am thinking about getting the 21mm adapter and bringing that instead. I've seen some images on here and it looks like a very decent option (although some say it's a waste of money).

So my question- do you think the Tamron and the 28mm + adapter are the best options? It will limit my changing of lenses; cover 21 - 75 @ 2.8; and I'll have a versatile 28mm F2 prime for evening shots in the pub. However, if the 21mm shots won't be good enough to hang on my wall at 13x19 then it's a waste.

BuckeyeGuy's gear list:BuckeyeGuy's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow