LX100 is not a pocket camera!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
123dy Junior Member • Posts: 25
LX100 is not a pocket camera!

I bought my LX100 in December last year. It's my only camera (replaced LX3) and I've taken thousands of pictures with it on trips to Scotland, Wales, Spain, Portugal, and locally here in Bristol.

It's not a pocket camera. I wear it around my neck, either hanging to the front if I want to use it, or slung round to the side, where it gets tangled up with my rucksack straps, if I'm just walking along or want to keep it out of sight of people coming towards me. If it's raining and I'm wearing a waterproof jacket I'll drop it down the front of the jacket and hope it stays dry.

In not being a pocket camera it loses the right to be compared with actual pocket cameras, eg Sony RX100 or Panasonic TZ/ZS x00, and instead requires to be compared with other cameras that are also not pocket cameras.

And it loses!

For example, on the specs the Panasonic GX9, while being a few mm bigger in each dimension than the LX100 2, blows the LX100 2 out of the water:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DC-LX100-II-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DC-GX9

And a GX9 is much cheaper as well!  My local dealer is selling GX9 + 12-60 kit lens for $150 less than LX100 2.  If you are in the market for a new Panasonic camera you can save yourself a lot of money by buying a much better product whose only real disadvantage is that it is a little bit bigger than an LX100!

I really don't know what Panasonic are thinking. Perhaps they are hoping that prospective customers will confuse 'compact' with 'pocketable' and buy it on that basis?

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow