Maintain 180 Shutter

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JohnBC New Member • Posts: 20
Maintain 180 Shutter

I am using Lumix GX85. I would like to ask how do you guys find the best way to maintain the 180 degree shutter rule? My main concern about video, is the change of a bright to darker scene and vice versa, while panning.

I tend to use shutter priority and auto ISO to maintain the 180 degree shutter rule, so the camera will auto adjust the ISO and aperture when the scene changes in brightness. However, I noticed the transition is not smooth, the camera seems to adjust the aperture in steps, so the transition of exposure looks very unnatural.

If I go full manual, I won't be able to pan naturally from a bright to darker scene and vice versa, as I will need to manually adjust the exposure. If using aperture priority, transition of exposure looks the way it should, but I won't be able to maintain the 180 rule, so in some conditions I could see slight stuttering in the video due to the high shutter speed while panning.

ND filters won't help in this case as well, as the scene is dynamically changing in exposure.

At this point, I am leaning towards abandoning the rule, and using aperture priority, as most of the time it gives me the best results. So I would really like to know, how do you guys usually manage this?

ANSWER:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow