How I got into 4 minute long exposure photography, but only once

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Reybabes
Reybabes Senior Member • Posts: 1,646
How I got into 4 minute long exposure photography, but only once

With great enthusiasm and expectation, I purchased a 16 stop ND filter (Formatt Hitech 72mm Firecrest ND 4.8 Filter) and set out to make longer than usual (for me) long exposure shots at the beach.  I drove the 90 minute route to the shore, found a location, placed the filter on my brand new X-T3, secured the camera on a tripod, estimated the exposure at 4 minutes and gave it a shot.  This is the image:

Not an entirely terrible first attempt, I thought.  As I looked out at the horizon trying to determine my next composition, I watched the camera and tripod fall face first onto the wet sand in front of me.  It was as though it happened in slow motion, but I couldn't get there in time to break the fall.

So, I spent the next 15 minutes cleaning everything off and was pleased to see that nothing appeared worse off from the fall.  So I took another shot:

So there you have it.  1 shot into my new enterprise, this.  Now, under closer inspection, I see micro fractures all throughout the filter.

However, given my first image above, I'm encouraged by the prospect of this.  So, back to Adorama I go.

The moral of the story?  Practice good, safe tripod technique and be careful when you sink the tripod legs into wet and sinking sand.

Rey

-- hide signature --

~~
www.composingcatholic.com

Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow