Beware: 2018 Mac Mini HDMI @ 4K, 60Hz is 4:2:2

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 1,836
Beware: 2018 Mac Mini HDMI @ 4K, 60Hz is 4:2:2

Just as the title says. I noticed that some of the graphic elements looked really rough at the edges on my LG 4K monitor, and immediately recognized it as a chroma subsampling issue. A couple of test patterns quickly confirmed that I'm only getting 4:2:2 at 60Hz and 4K on my monitor using an HDMI 2.0 connection. I went through the usual route:

-check all settings on the Mac and the monitor: all good, should work.

-try the hdmi cable and monitor on another mac: both work with 4k 60 4:4:4 on other mac.

-Try Mac Mini on another 4K monitor with another verified hdmi 2.0 cable: Still getting 4:2:2 on new Mac Mini

-Verify colourspace is RGB: check.

-Finally, check Mac Mini iGP UHD630 specs and verify that the 2018 Mac Mini can actually do 4:4:4 at 4k 60Hz... No info available to verify that I can find.

So, in a nutshell, (Joger is going to give me the gears on this one!) the new 2018 Mac Mini, as far as I can tell, cannot do 4:4:4 at 4k and 60Hz through HDMI. This means that one would require either an eGPU or a Thunderbolt 3 monitor.

My 2018 Mac Mini is the top 6-core CPU, 32Gb ram and 1TB ssd.

Please let me know if i'm missing anything.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow