K1 vs Q-S1 shoot-out. Who wins? :-)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
manual_focus Senior Member • Posts: 1,214
K1 vs Q-S1 shoot-out. Who wins? :-)

I recently posted some images from the very excellent DFA* 15-30mm f2.8 on a K1, showing my first attempts at long exposure photography. I had an image of the setup on my tripod and for comparison purposes I also included my Q-S1 with the very excellent 3.8-5.9 mm f3.7-4 (#8) lens. I got a comment wanting to see a comparison between the two.

Now at a certain level there is no comparison between the two systems, but photography is about telling a story, and both systems are quite adept at telling all sorts of stories. For certain types of photgraphy either system really outshines the other as they have such different physical properties (mostly DOF, dynamic range, weight and overall size) due to the size of the sensors. For general landscape, etc. it really comes down to the final output. If you are going to print larger than 8x12 inches then all those megapixels of the K1 crush the Q. If you do not need to print larger then the Q is more than adequate and so much smaller, lighter weight (2,050 vs 278 g), and less costly (~$3,200 vs $900 with filters) than full frame. That doesn't include the costs of heavy vs lightweight tripods and ballheads, but you get the picture.

So, with out further ado, here are the comparisons. These are full size jpgs which I tried to get somewhat the same in post processing without getting too crazy about it. As usual I let the images do the talking. Any questions and feel free to ask.

K1 w/ DFA* 15-30 mm (FA* 200mm ) against the Q-S1 with #08 (#06).

K1 with FA* 200mm f2.8 (no filters)

Q-S1 with #06 Telephoto Zoom Lens (15-45mm f2.8) no filters

K1 with DFA* 15-30mm f2.8 with MC Polarizing and ND +5 filters

Q-S1 with #08 Wide Angle Zoom lens (3.8-5.9mm f3.7-4) with MC Polarizing and ND +6 filters

K1 with DFA* 15-30mm f2.8 with MC Polarizing and ND+5 filters

Q-S1 with #08 Wide Angle Zoom lens 3.8-5.9mm f3.7-4 with MC Polarizing and ND +6 filters

The Q system is anything but a "toy".

Best viewed at original size.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow