Hawk in a Snow Storm

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ABCMO Regular Member • Posts: 267
Hawk in a Snow Storm

Last Friday afternoon we experienced what I will call a snow squall, a brief 20-minute snow storm of increasing intensity that ended abruptly and the sun came out.  During the squall, my wife noticed that a hawk had landed on our deck, and she called this out to me immediately.  When I got to the window to see, it had flown onto the shepherd's crook we have in out backyard that supports out bird feeder!  We've never observed anything like this before from a hawk.

As we were observing the hawk, a second one flew across the yard and perched itself in our maple tree.  With the snow coming down I realized this was a great opportunity and raced to get my Oly OMD-1 Mark II, put my 75-300 Mark II lens on it, and proceeded to quietly opened the door to our deck--didn't want to scare off the hawk which was about 30 yards/meters away in the tree.  Leaning back against the wall of our house for extra stability, I took about 20 photos with the one below being what I consider the best.

To save you the effort of checking the exif data, this photo was taken at f/8.0, 1/100, ISO 1600, with the lens fully extended to 300mm.  I then processed it in DxO PhotoLab 2 (defaults, a little microcontrast and clearview, and prime noise reduction).  The photo is a significant crop of the original image, and it printed beautifully on Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, which has become my favorite paper over the last three years.

One final note is that our own efforts toward identification led us to believing it is a Red-Shouldered Hawk, a conclusion that has now been confirmed by several knowledgable birders.

Al

Red-Shouldered Hawk Perched in a Maple Tree During a Snow Storm

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow