Which 70-200 2.8?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nicolai Denmark Junior Member • Posts: 44
Which 70-200 2.8?

Hi all,

For a long time, I've been back and forth on what lens to get next. I've been using my 50 1.8G for portraits and candids. It has worked well with one exceptance: I want more moreking distance, so as to not disturb my subject.

Been considering the 105 VR Micro as I would then be able to shoot a little macro as well, the 135DC for it's fast aperture and defocus abillities, the Sigma 135 being sharper than the DC and then a 70-200 2.8.

To be honest, I think I'd shoot very little macro and as I cannot move around fast due to impaired walking abillity, primes are limiting as well.

Whilst the weight of a 70-200 2.8 will deffinately be a challenge, I can see that it might be the most versatile: a lot of people use them for portraits, and it'll be good for capturing my son from a distance (and) when he plays football and other kinds of sports.

Tamron G2 vs Nikkor 70-200 2.8G VRII.

Both have focus breathing which is a big let down but beggars can't be choosers.

In Denmark, the current price of the Tamron new is equal to that of €1,394 or $1,569. Currently, there's a cashback of €100 or $113.

The VRII new is €2,373 or 2,670 USD.

The 70-200E is €2,800 or $3,156 but there's a cashback currently equal to €300 or $337 making it only €134 or $151 more than the VRII. So, the price difcference seems a no brainer between the two of them.

But: is the FL worth THE DOUBLE of the Tamron G2???

I realize it's better build, doesn't focus breath but still?

I'm nothing but an amateur with a limited budget just trying to get some decent shots. Not intentions of going pro. I do, however, intend to go FX sometime.
I also realize, the FL probably has more precise / accurate focus.

Is the focus breathing a problem when shooting sports?

I'm most deffinately ælooking to use either at 2.8 for portraits. Examples are welcome,

Nicolai Denmark's gear list:Nicolai Denmark's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow