Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 50-200mm F2.8-4.0 ???

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,002
Re: Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 50-200mm F2.8-4.0 ???

I used the Olympus 50-200 SWD for 6 years as my primary birding lens.  I never removed the EC14 from the lens for birds and at least 99% were taken at the maximum 283mm.  I got 300mm f4 for the longer focal length (as well as sharpness and wider aperture).  Since I got that lens, I have almost never found it too long for any wild bird and generally keep the MC14 on the lens for the 420mm focal length.

For hummingbirds (from your post), I do generally use the 300mm without the MC14, because I prefer the feather rendering for those birds without the TC and it enables me to include more of the environment around the bird.  However, even with hummingbirds, I use the MC14 when I want to fill the frame with the bird.  The 50-200 would definitely be too short for anything other than a feeder shot.   See below for 300mm & 420 focal length.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow