Circular filters vs. Square filters

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RockItBoots New Member • Posts: 9
Circular filters vs. Square filters

Hey guys!

I've been looking into getting some filters since I will be travelling and a few months and I'm planning to do some landscape photography. I'm planning on CPL and maybe 3-6 stop ND filters. But I'm not sure if I should get circular filters or invest in a square filter system.

From what I've seen personally, circular screw-in filters are more popular and have more variety. I think the benefit of the circular filters is that it's more convenient and there's no extra bulk at the end of your lens. Not to mention it's probably a bit more durable since it has a metal ring on the edge.

Whereas square filters like Nisi and Lee can be used on almost any filter size with just an adapter ring so you don't have to buy a separate filter for each of your lenses (although I assume you could get a larger circular filter and use step-down rings, not sure what the disadvantages are).

I would prefer to spend a little more for something that'll fit most of my needs instead of buying cheap filters and having to constantly upgrade.

So, what do you guys think? Which filter type do you prefer and why? What filters would you recommend?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow